Thursday, October 23, 2014

Orientation: Integration Model

      I wholeheartedly agree with Liberty’s integration model.  I believe that the bible should be consulted before any other material to get a firm foundation as to what the bible teaches about counseling and helping one another.  After the bible, other resources should be considered to find ideas, truths, and to assess what works.   The information gathered from outside resources should then be filtered through the Word of God to make sure that the information is in agreement with scripture.   I also like how Clinton & Ohlschlager (2002) describe counseling as “soul-care” (pg. 32).  This is not about just helping people to cope with tragedies, affliction, and addictions.  It is about caring for their soul, their eternal life, and their freedom.  “It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery” (Galatians 5:1, New American Standard Bible).  I believe that we are not meant to simple cope, but to be set free.  Jesus is described as our Wonderful Counselor (Isaiah 9:6), and He tells us “But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you.”  The work translated to “the Helper” (NASB), “the Comforter”(KJV), and “the Counselor” (NIV), is the Greek word “parakletos.”  It was to our advantage that Jesus left because he was human and could not reside in us, but the Holy Spirit could, and does.  The Father sent the Spirit in the name of Jesus to teach us all things and bring remembrance to us of everything that Jesus said (John 14:26).  As we are counseling others we should be listening to the person’s story, which gives light to their needs (as talked about in the “The Integration Model of the Center for Counseling and Family Studies” presentation).  We should also be listening to the Holy Spirit who will give us further insight and who will come along side of us to minister to that person.
I am also a firm believer that we are supposed to do everything that Christ did, which includes using the authority that Jesus gives us in His name.  “And He called the twelve together, and gave them power and authority over all the demons and to heal diseases. And He sent them out to proclaim the kingdom of God and to perform healing.” (Luke 9:1-2, NASB).  Many Christians do not like to speak of demons or Satan.  While it can be unhealthy to become obsessive, it is important that we are aware that there is a constant battle being wages in the spiritual realm.  Jesus calls us to put on the full armor of God (Ephesians 6:10-17), which includes “taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one” (Ephesians 6:16). 
Liberty’s Integration Model as well as my own integration model may be a challenge for me because I have not read and studied the entire bible.  I became a Christian about three years ago and have spent time studying certain parts, but I do not know the bible in its entirety.  Since I am to use the bible as a filter for all other resources, this may be challenging for me. 
Clinton, T., & Ohlschlager, G. (2002). Competent Christian counseling, (Vol 1) . Colorado Springs, CO: WaterBrook Press


No comments:

Post a Comment